While rum has its origins in the warm, sunny islands of the Caribbean, rum can be made anywhere in the world. With so many styles, uses, and expressions rum deserves a place behind every bar. Some of the best, most popular, and equally, undiscovered rums comes from countries like Cuba, Jamaica, Guyana, and Martinique. Styles of rum vary from country to country and range from pot-still rum, black rum, blended rum and Rhum Agricole just to name a few. While most rum is made with molasses, some countries, like the French island of Martinique, use fresh-pressed sugar cane, as does Brazil for the production of Cachaça.
With aged and sipping rum becoming popular to accompany cigars or simply the hands of the curious, serving guests special rums from elegant decanters can play an important roll in the ambiance of the evening.
Why Use a Decanter for Rum?
The main reason to serve rum from a decanter is aesthetic. While rum does not need to be decanted in order to breathe, decanting rum can enhance the experience. Serving rum from a stylish decanter can take your living room from ordinary to extraordinary, adding a Cuban speakeasy feel. It is the perfect conversation starter to lead to an evening of mojitos, dark n’ stormys, or classic daiquiris. All that’s missing is a box of cigars!
When choosing a decanter keep in mind that quality is equally important as design. Pay close attention to the quality of the stopper. If the seal is not airtight then alcohol will evaporate and escape from the decanter. Crystal decanters contain lead and should only be used for serving, not storing rum. For this reason, choosing the right decanter is vital, especially if you plan to store rum in your decanter.
With that in mind, we have weighed many factors to determine the best decanter for rum. Take a look at our list below and click any of the decanters to go to the full review page.
Our Best Rated Rum Decanters (See Full List)
- Constellation1797 Liquor Decanter – BD Score 56
- Tomoka Gold Bourbon Barrel Decanter – BD Score 56
- Prestige Decanters Etched Globe Decanter – BD Score 56
- Glass Diamond Shaped Decanter – BD Score 54
- Flybold Etched Globe Decanter – BD Score 46
- Amlong Round Crystal Decanter – BD Score 45
- Lily’s Home Whiskey Decanter – BD Score 44
- Ravenscroft Crystal Kensington Set – BD Score 42
- Paksh Novelty Decanter Set – BD Score 42
- Lenox Tuscany Classics Decanter – BD Score 40
- Bormioli Rocco Dedalo Decanter – BD Score 40
The Best Decanter for Rum (See Full List)
Buying Guide Important Things to Consider:
- Stopper Quality – Is it airtight?
- Is the decanter crystal or glass? Crystal decanters have lead in them, if you plan to keep rum in your decanter for an extended period of time this can be dangerous.
- Size of Decanter, large enough to hold a 750ml bottle with room to spare